I don’t know about you, but over the 14 years I’ve been married, Valentine’s Day has been largely underwhelming. We often refer to a recent evening out or a future trip as our big Valentine’s Day gifts to each other. We hug, we kiss, we go out to dinner, maybe have sex , but chocolates, roses and the occasional piece of jewelry feel like a waste of money at this point. So this year, I am committed to doing something more, something with meaning and thought. Below are 5 ideas of how both you and I can show our spouses just how much they mean to us this year.
- 1. Grab a dry erase marker and describe 5 things your partner does that make you really happy. Write it on the bathroom mirror so he/she sees it every day.
- 2. Set a calendar appointment on your phone to text your partner 1 time a week for the next 12 months to let him/her know something they did to make your life better and a little sweeter that week. Start on Feb 14!
- 3. Write a Haiku or a Roses are Red poem and read it aloud during dinner. Have it printed up and framed for their desk. It can be funny, loving, sweet, sassy or whatever mood you desire. Try to define the nature of your relationship with the poem.
- 4. Single out the one greatest reason why you adore your partner. Does he/she make you laugh on a regular basis; is he/she romantic, does he/she do kind things for you on a regular basis? Take a piece of construction paper and jot down the one great reason with 3 supporting details of things he/she did recently that encouraged you to choose that trait. Give this as your primary Valentine’s Card.
- 5. During your Valentine’s dinner, let your partner know you care about the business (whether you work there or not). Come up with 3 things to share about the business that your partner may not know, or 3 questions you have about the business that you would like to know more about. Talk about where you see the business in the next 3-5 years and what the end goal is with regard to the business.
- 6. ADD ON: This costs money, but I thought it was too cute not to share! https://lovebookonline.com